April 30

How to Improve Your Photographs

Because I desire to be a lifelong learner, I am studying how to improve my photography skills. A Run Wild My Child blog post (for which I am an ambassador) shared helpful suggestions for taking better pictures of your kids outside with your phone.

Recently, I completed a class, Basics of Nature Photography, at Chattahoochee Nature Center with Eric Bowles. I am reviewing previous photos and practicing the following composition lessons I learned:

In your imagination, divide your photo into a 3×3 grid. The focus of your photo should be where two lines intersect (Rule of Thirds) or generally off center:

Look for S cand C curves to engage the viewer and create motion but try not to let the curves move off directly into a corner of your photo.

Attempt to capture an animal looking toward you.

If you capture an animal in profile, leave space in front of the animal in the direction it is moving.

Use the rule of thirds and place the horizon line in the lower third or the upper third of the composition depending upon where you want the viewer to focus. Don’t place a horizon line behind someone’s head and it should be straight.

Explore framing your subject.

Shoot your photo from different perspectives. Try shooting up or down on your subject.

Diagonal lines can draw your eye to the subject or create movement.

One more hint: If you have people in your photo, don’t cut the subjects off at joints – knees, wrists, and ankles for example. I am sharing nature photos on my Instagram account. I hope you’ll take a minute to check it out! (@pbright2)

Posted April 30, 2023 by pbright2 in category All About Mrs. Bright, Art, Science

1 thoughts on “How to Improve Your Photographs

1. Kelsey

Very interesting post! I love how you included your beautiful photos as examples of each takeaway. Made the post come to life for me and the takeaways much clearer to apply. Love it!