May 18

Letting Go

My daughter leaves today to study abroad in Spain. I would appreciate if you would include her in your prayers. She will live in a host home, take public transportation to the university, and participate in weekend excursions. She leaves knowing no one else on the trip.

As I have reflected on her departure, I’ve thought about our role as parents. Someone told me a long time ago that our job as parents is to prepare our children to leave us. From the minute they leave the womb, this role begins. There are their first steps, first day at school, and then the first sleepover. Later comes the first overnight class trip, the first date, and the first time they drive the car alone. Before you know it, you are leaving them at college. Our greatest challenge is to equip our children with the knowledge and skills necessary to be successful and then to sense when they are ready for the next step on their journey. If they proceed with independence and confidence, you have been successful. Prayer and faith are your constant companions because as much as you love them, their heavenly father loves them even more.

I have invested in your children this year and they each hold a special place in my heart. They too are prepared for the next step in their journey as they move upstairs to third grade. As the years go by, I will still be here to offer encouragement and to celebrate their accomplishments with you! Please don’t hesitate to stop by my room.

Posted May 18, 2011 by pbright2 in category All About Mrs. Bright