July 21

Summer Reading

One of the joys of summer is having more time to read. My reading this summer can be divided into three groups:  Bible study, professional growth, and fun reads. A love for reading and life-long learning are values I want to share and model for my students.

Bible Study:  I am part of a women’s neighborhood Bible study. The group meets in the morning during the school year, so I cherish the opportunity to study with friends and neighbors each summer. The study is led by a KRCS parent. This summer, we are studying Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl by Lysa Terkeurst. I’ve enjoyed her insights. She has a blog and is a leader of the Proverbs 31 Ministry.

Click here to go to Proverbs 31 Ministry

Professionally, I’ve read The Daily 5 and The Cafe Book by Gail Boushey and Joan Moser. I am participating in an online book study as I read these books about developing children’s literacy. Looking forward to applying these ideas in my classroom this year.

I have just begun reading Rafe Esquith’s Teach Like Your Hair’s On Fire. Lots of ideas for parents and teachers to ponder.

Fun Read:  I just finished Sea Change by Karen White. Karen is part of our KRCS family and I taught both of her children. Click here to go to Karen’s web site.  This is her 15th novel about Southern women.

Hope I’ll have time to finish some more of the novels on my nightstand before school begins!

(Click on each book for a sneak peek inside.)

Posted July 21, 2012 by pbright2 in category Reading