August 30

Capturing Caterpillars

It has been my intention over the last month to capture photos of caterpillars, and August and September are the best months to do just that. I was rewarded with a cornucopia of finds! My daughter thinks I am a caterpillar whisperer.

Be cautious handling any caterpillar! Some can cause serious infections and rashes. Especially warn children not to handle fuzzy caterpillars with bristles. I believe this caterpillar is the venomous American dagger caterpillar. There are five projecting black barbs.

• Caterpillars are the larval stage of butterflies and moths. This stage usually last two weeks to one month.
  • After spending their days eating and growing, a butterfly caterpillar will form a chrysalis and a moth caterpillar a cocoon. (Yes, they really are very hungry caterpillars!)
  • Six small eyes arranged in a semicircle are on each side of its head.
  • Well-developed jaws (mandibles) allow them to easily tear off leaves and chop them into small pieces.
  • Setae and antennae help the caterpillar sense its surroundings.
  • A caterpillar has six true legs on its thorax. Prolegs or false legs are on the abdomen and help them grasp objects.
  • As they grow and exoskeletons become too tight, they will molt.
  • Spiracles, breathing pores, are on each side of their bodies.
  • Caterpillars utilize camouflage, mimicry, venomous hairs, or a bright warning color to protect themselves from predators.

Go here to view full screen.

Order caterpillars through Insect Lore and watch them move through metamorphosis. “Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.” A great reminder for us all!!

Advanced vocabulary and many examples of alliteration fill the pages. Go to YouTube to listen here.

Clara Caterpillar by Edwards, Pamela Duncan Book The Fast Free Shipping ...

Use the following picture book to discuss elements that are real and those that are make-believe. Go here to watch full screen.

To watch full screen, go here. A great mentor text to introduce dialogue or identify character traits. Did the caterpillar become a butterfly or a moth? How do you know?