PreFirst engineers (The Great 8) were tasked with constructing “ice” structures using various pieces of Styrofoam.
Although this seems like a simple task, we were meeting the following standards:
- Identify Styrofoam, a manmade material, that doesn’t decompose quickly and cannot be recycled. Discuss ways to reuse Styrofoam and ways to reduce its use.
- Strengthen fine motor and eye hand coordination skills.
- Investigate physical properties of materials.
- Develop creativity and communication skills.
- Name and construct 3D shapes (pyramids, cubes, and prisms) and explore the number of vertices and sides in each.
- Problem solve and develop critical thinking skills.
- Explore balance.
- Use the Design Process-Identify Problem, Imagine, Plan, Create, and Improve.
Save Styrofoam from shipping boxes and build with it at home.